Valentine’s Day is almost here! What are you going to give that special someone in your life? You’ve probably already thought of the traditional gifts: jewelry, flowers and (of course) CANDY! We here at United Medevac Solutions work with healthcare facilities everyday and we want YOU to stay healthy! So, what if you gave your Valentine something a little more heart healthy?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
“About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.”
We want you to take great care of your heart! And, Valentine’s Day is a wonderful time to think of yours (and your loved one’s heart). After all, everywhere you look you can find heart-shaped items in stores right now – so it should be easy.
So, are there heart healthy Valentine treats to give your loved ones (or treat yourself)? Sure! Let’s take a look at a few…
Skip The Candy
It’s hard…we know. Those beautiful heart-shaped boxes with those delicious chocolate morsels inside. But, let’s face it, you probably eat all of the caramel and maybe the coconut ones (and leave the pink filled ones anyway).
How about something better tasting and better for you? Try these:
- Chocolate dipped fruit
- Cheese tray with sparkling water or a nice glass of wine (Although too much alcohol is not heart healthy. Please remember, no more than 1 glass a day for women and no more than 2 a day for men).
- Make a lovely (and healthy) meal for your Valentine. You can create a delicious and heart healthy meal of grilled fish, roasted vegetables, and a fruit cup topped with a small amount of whipped cream. Light some candles and your Valentine will love it!
- Does you Valentine love to cook? Give them a subscription to Cooking Light Magazine and go with them to a farmer’s market and buy them some fun ingredients that they may not have tried before.
It’s Not All About The Food
We always think about food at Valentine’s Day (especially eating at a nice restaurant, the big boxes of candy, etc). But, it doesn’t always have to be about food. Why not give your Valentine an experience they won’t forget? And, it can be heart healthy as well. Some examples we thought of are:
- Want to get moving? Give your Valentine a fun weekend experience that includes some heart healthy exercise. For example, you can give them a fun camping weekend with some hiking included.
- How about a spa day? We all know that stress can wear on our bodies and minds. So, why not reduce that stress for your Valentine with a nice massage. A spa day can help relax the body and allow your Valentine to have a small break from stress. Grab a couple’s massage and you can relax too!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
We hope this has given you some ideas for heart healthy Valentine treats (and throughout the year). Valentine’s Day is really about being with the ones you love and telling them how much you care for them. We can’t think of a better way to let them know you care than by showing them that you want them healthy for a very long time.
♥Happy Valentine’s Day!♥
photo credit: photosteve101 Painted/brushed heart symbol ♥ abstract love via photopin (license)